Role title Head of Stewardship
Location Home working due to Covid19
“normally” either New York City or London based
(must be eligible to work in US or UK)
Reporting to North Americas Director
Start date ASAP
Role and responsibilities
- Advocates Carbon Tracker’s investor outreach, building productive relationships with key audiences focused on governance and engagement.
- Establish Carbon Tracker as the trusted go-to provider for strategy, data and analytics powering resolution filings, with a leading reputation in this space and recognised by target funders.
- Engage with financial institutions, pensions funds and others to improve their understanding of climate risk and how it might affect the financial case for the energy sector, particularly the risks associated with the shift to a low carbon energy system for specific corporations
- Market Carbon Tracker company insights and sector analysis to current and prospective governance teams including independent proxy advisors (i.e., GlassLewis, ISS, and PIRC) and investor corporate governance teams.
- Key player in investor led coalitions such as IIGCC, and UNEPFI and support Carbon Tracker’s outreach work with CA100+ and its constituent members leading on engagement.
- Support and strategically guide investor groups filing shareholder resolutions including but not limited to Follow This, As You Sow, ShareAction and Boston Common
- Lead client and prospect meetings of the governance teams and present Carbon Tracker’s work at meetings, events, conferences focused on shareholder engagement & voting.
- Pitch for new work, review and respond to client or prospects energy research needs and develop narratives for using Carbon Tracker research.
- Work with both our US and UK-based research team to help produce and curate cutting-edge research around voting recommendations on Paris aligned business plans for the wider investment community.
- Passion for the cause and an advocate for our mission, vision, goals and theory of change.
- 7+ years’ professional work experience in financial services focused on corporate governance, investor engagement, preferably from a proxy advisory service, corporate governance, sell-side or asset management.
- Good understanding of governance and proxy guidelines in US and/or UK and understanding of key differences between US versus UK and EU.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve creative and positive outcomes in engagement with companies.
- Good understanding of key regional differences between US versus UK & EU.
- Thorough understanding of energy markets including oil/gas, coal, P&U renewables both in US and globally.
- Credibility as an advisor around voting recommendations and engagement.
- Adept at building strong relationships; established and extensive network of governance teams at institutional investors/financial institutions, pensions funds, and/or proxy advisory services, resolution filers.
- Articulate with proven interpersonal and communication skills, confident explaining our research to senior management (including C-suite)
- Entrepreneurial spirit, welcoming the challenge of using experience and skills to promote and utilise Carbon Tracker’s ground-breaking work to our target audiences
- Highly motivated, can set priorities, results driven with a proven background of delivery
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA, CFA would be beneficial but not required)
- USD $90,000 – $125,000
- 4% pension contribution
- 18 paid vacation days
- 11 paid holidays
- 10% discretionary bonus (funding and company performance dependent)
- flexible working environment
- Please apply through our Careers page https://apply.workable.com/carbon-tracker/?lng=en
- Carbon Tracker can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the US.
- We strive to ensure that opportunities to work and develop at Carbon Tracker are open to all. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants, regardless of age, disability, gender identity or gender expression, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or any other equality characteristic.
- Carbon Tracker supports flexibility.
- Thank you for your interest in Carbon Tracker and good luck!
Carbon Tracker will process any data provided in response to this open role for recruitment purposes only. We will hold personal data on candidates in our applicant tracking system which is fully compliant with current GDPR legislation until our open role is filled. We cannot state the exact time period for this because it varies role to role. The period is over when a candidate accepts our job offer and starts in the new role. When that period is over we will delete your data. You have the right to lodge a complaint about the way we handle your data with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) or you can contact us directly if you have any concerns you would like to discuss.